Tuesday, April 14, 2015

To Become As A Little Child

In the scriptures we are repeatedly commanded to "become as a little child."
It's mentioned in Matthew 18:3 and again in 3 Nephi 11:37-38.

Matthew - "And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven."

3 Nephi - "And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and become as a little child, and be baptized in my name, or ye can in nowise receive these things. And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and be baptized in my name, and become as a little child, or ye can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God.

I've thought on these scriptures in the past as far as being obedient and humble, 
but they came to new meaning to me today.

As great as it was that we made it to church on Sunday, Audrey picked up a stomach bug.
Eric went in this morning to find her having thrown up and shaking in her crib.
It's so sweet taking care of her (lots of snuggles) but heartbreaking at the same time. 
I stepped away for a bit and came back to find her weakly calling my name, walking slowly looking for me while holding her tummy. It's so hard to watch!

And yet, though she is feeling absolutely awful she still finds reasons to smile!
 
  
 
The things that brought smiles to her face was her brother sharing his bunny, receiving a bottle, 
and seeing that I was going to take her picture. 
These things are seemingly inconsequential; but to her, they were monumental.

 How inspiring is that? We all go through tough times. 
It's unavoidable, but we can either have a pity party or try to find some beauty somewhere...

Last week, Eric was having a tough week, but he chose, amid his own turmoil, to sit down and write "Thank You Notes" to people at work, and to me! He brought home one of the sweetest notes that I keep on the fridge and read often. He chose to build up those around him when he felt down.
He touched each one of us that he wrote a note to.

I have found myself inspired to become more childlike. I may not be able to change my circumstances, but I can change my attitude. I can look for beauty through the eyes of a child and smile at others when I'm down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Leave a comment!