Thursday, April 7, 2011

How I Pass the Time

I've had several people ask me how I manage to pass the time and stay sane while being home for long periods of time by myself. I am home alone even more now that Eric has found a job. (BYU Broadcasting Director of Technical Operations. He finds the systems that aren't enhancing the work environment as well as they could - like the intranet - and comes up with a new way to do it. He also implements the software needed on other projects - like Altiris software for managing inventory.)

I watch TV - probably more than I should, I do my hair almost daily and paint my nails 2-3 times a week (though I am out of nail polish remover - sad!). I love long showers and am eagerly awaiting the day that I have a bathroom counter and a tub!

I also surf craft blogs... Each time I find something simple, I bunker down and do it. A few posts ago, I posted a picture of the Easter Egg Wreath that I made for the front door, and now I want to show you the other things I have done.  :D

 This first one was probably the easiest of all the ones I have done. Eric and I keep at least one towel on the oven door at all times. Because our kitchen is fairly small they get bumped a ton and fall off - or they fall off when we open the door. Solution??? I sewed a small piece of ribbon in the middle of each towel and then attached them to shower curtain ringlet - holder - thingies... (the things that keep the shower curtain attached to the rod)
 This one was super fun. I found on a craft blog how a lady took gloves and turned them into bunnies! It was SO simple that I had to try it. When I realized that I own 7 pairs of gloves (wow...) I decided to make one for each of my nieces and one for my nephew since Eric and I are traveling home for Easter! All you do is turn the gloves inside out and cut off the pinky, thumb, and middle finger (I felt like a mob boss cutting off fingers...). Then you sew them shut. Turn the glove right side out again and sew on buttons for eyes and make a little mouth with pink thread. Stuff the bunny and sew it closed at the bottom. Using the thumb you cut off, make a tail. Easy! For fun, I decided to hand sew these instead of using a machine. :D
 This last one was probably the most complicated but still super simple! I have this shirt that I bought at Walmart for $5 a few years ago. I have a long torso and so to wear this shirt I have to layer up with camis... Well, because it was such a cheap shirt the seams on the side aren't even and there are a few other blemishes so I decided to turn it into a shrug! All I had to do was cut down the center of the shirt, zig-zag stitch the edges (I didn't feel like taking the time to do a roll hem) and then make a 1" seam along the cut line. Thread a ribbon through and voila! A very simple shrug. Honestly, the part that took the longest was waiting for the iron to heat up so I could iron the area where I would sew the seam and thread the ribbon... 15 minutes total. :D

It looks better on a person than it does in the picture above, I promise...

I also made this card - I didn't know who I was thanking or why when I made it today, but now I do!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love your crafts, Jess. You are much more productive than I am. The shrug is adorable. I wish I had kept some of those shirts I donated so that I could try it. As it is, I need all the shirt I have. *pout* Also, the thank you card is gorgeous. I'm thinking that we'll have to do the baby shower cards together. =P

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Leave a comment!