Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Desires of Our Hearts

It's funny how God works with our desires - He knew that I was bored at home and really wanted a job. He also knew that with my being pregnant, my body would be unable to handle a job. But He gave me one anyway so that I could appreciate being home and having the time to myself to manage my house and keep things in order.  Having a job was a blessing in multiple ways.  I have learned much:

1) I no longer want a job. I recognize that my place is in the home (not that I was planning on working after having children, but even now -- what brings me joy is keeping the house clean and having food prepared for Eric).
2) I realize now what a blessing it is to be at home.
3) I have learned new ways to cope with my sickness and know that as long as I have something that I find important to focus on, it isn't so bad.
4) I learned that my stress tolerance level is so much lower when I'm pregnant and my stress reaction is to feel sick. I struggle enough with worrying about my students, let alone another job on top of it.
5) True boredom is being stuck at work with nothing to do -- true creativity is being able to find something (this is easier at home!).
6) There are always enough snacks at home -- there are not always enough snacks at work.
7) Headaches come from stress -- massages relieve them!
8) Always have chocolate on hand

It's funny how we are bred to be ready for certain things. I was raised to be ready to be a mom and Eric was raised to be ready to work for the rest of his life... After having the responsibility of a job, even for a little while, I pity Eric. I often apologize to him for the fact that he will have to work and support our family. But he is ready for it and looks forward to it. He is excited to be able to take care of me and our children. (I think he got whacked over the head with a 2x4, but that's just me...)  I am grateful that he does not consider this a burden but is striving to better himself so that he is able to provide for us.

The desire to have children and stay at home hasn't changed, I just want it now more than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Leave a comment!